Scout Meeting 25th September 2010

As the saying goes, curiousity kills the cat but I could not help but wonder what activities we were going to do on this typical Saturday.  I was certain Akela had something up his sleeve for when I arrived at the kidzone, I saw a huge plastic bag filled with colourful balloons.  Immediately, I racked my brains, wondering what Akela wanted us to do with the balloons.  However, my mind was totally blank.
When I arrived at the kidzone, the usual sounds of cheerful shrieks of laughter filled the air while the 2 senior sixers (Brenda did not come not until around 10 am) work on the flag rising preparations.  I headed straight for wombat 1's area.  I placed my bag down and waited till the sounds of the horseshoe whistle rang throughout the entire kidzone, "Horseshoe!" the 2 senior sixers shouted, with a spring in my step, I hurried over for horseshoe.

After horseshoe, we lined up in Indian file and settled down.  Akela announced that Grey Wolf will be teaching us how to tie the 3 knots – the Reef Knot, Clove Hitch and last but not least, Sheet Bend.  As there will be a 4 round game on tying these 3 knots, we were told to learn and practice them. After the few minutes of learning and practicing, we began the competition!

Round 1 - tie the Reef Knot.  Those, who are correct, earned 5 points whereas those who tied it wrongly caused the six to lose 2 points.  Round 2 - tie the Reef Knot above your head.  This time, those who get it right gets 5 points but those who didn't do it correctly received 0 points.  Round 3 - tie the Clove Hitch.  For this round, those who tied correctly received 10 points.  Those who tied it wrongly also received 0 points like the previous round.  Last round - tie the Clove Hitch and the first to reach to Grey Wolf who was standing a few steps behind the whole unit wins. We heaved a sign of relived when Akela told us he had decided not to have the Sheet Bend for the final round. The results were Wallaby in 3rd place with a total of 18 points, XXX (Aleka, can fill in for me, I forgot who got 2nd) in 2nd place with a total of 19 points.  And in 1st place Echidna with a total of 20 points.  Well done, Echidna!

When Akela told us to change into half-u, I could not contain the excitement on my face.  More games yay!!  The game's instructions were: 2 Six would pretend to be Pelicans. There were 4 nests and a basket of pelican eggs (Bean bags) on the other side of the kid zone. The rest of the scouts would be blindfolded and swing their arms left and right, pretending to be the 'hunters'.  If either anyone gets caught by the 'hunters', you're out of the game! My Six, wombat 1 and wombat 2 screamed like 3-year-old kids whenever the 'hunters' were close to touching us.  When our time was up, we only managed to get a few eggs (bean bags) over.  But all that matter was that we had fun.

Our final game was burst the balloon!  However, the balloons were filled with water so we had to be careful or we would be drenched. We all turned into frenzy and ran in all different directions, stepping on the water balloons when it landed at our feet.  Sad to say some of us didn't even manage to step on one of the balloon and some missed the balloon by a few inches before others burst it.  After what felt like hours of playing, the game had to come to an end.  Some of us were reluctant to stop the game but we also wanted to go home.  In the end, we ended scouts in a sea of happy but tired faces.  Sixers were told to stay back for Sixers' council while the rest of the cubs were dismissed.

I hope that next year, we will be able to play all these 3 games again!

Don't forget that there would be a Woodcutter's hike next Saturday, 1st October, so please remember to submit your consent forms on time!  I can't wait for next week......kekeke!! 




*******************************************************************
"SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!"

Comments