Sixers' Meeting & Recruitment Briefing

Sixers' Meeting & Recruitment Briefing
Saturday
8th January 2011
By Scribe Kimberley Song

Finally! After a long holiday, itâs time for scouts again! Say goodbye to your beauty sleep everyone!


It was a peaceful Saturday morning, I could have been sleeping, eating or watching television, instead, I woke up early to attend the scout meeting. I was really excited since it had been a long time since there were any scouts activities. When I reached school, I placed my bag down at the usual spot then I played with my friends untill Akela came.

We formed the usual horseshoe and began the colour party. Things were going perfectly fine until we noticed that the scout flag was upside down! We all knew we were in hot soup as we had forgotten everything about the flag raising ceremony. But being the forgiving Akela we know, he let us off the hook. Instead he decided to teach us how to arrange and hook the flag for the flag raising ceremony again.

Being my first time, it took me a long time to learn how to do the flag raising ceremony. Akela told me that I had to master this as I would take over as senior sixer this year. I was really embarrassed that I took the longest time. As we were running out of time, we had to stop.

Akela then asked us to gather into a circle and said that we would start the fun now. Our cheers of joy and shouts of excitement were immediately silenced when we heard Akela said that he wanted to test our reflex/response.

We first knelt down and rested our hands on the ground. We clapped our hands on the ground in order starting from the left. We actually managed to clap in order for 6 seconds! Next, we repeated what we did in the first round but with our arms interlinked. This time, it started from the girls on the right since the boys were fooling around. We actually made it to 20 seconds! What a surprise!

After the game, Akela asked us to line up in Indian file. He told us that we were dismissed except for the sixers. The assistant sixers could leave. He also instructed all the sixers to go wait in the AVA room until the parents arrived. A parent briefing was going to be held in the AVA room for the new recruits. Waving goodbye to the others, I headed for the AVA room.

Many parents and students were already seated in the AVA. My sharp eyes scanned the area hoping to find some girls. But to my dismay, there were only 2, which was really disappointing to me. I had hope for more girls to join scouts. Again this year, there were more boys than girls. After settling down, the briefing started.

Akela briefed the parents and students on what scouting is about. He showed some pictures of our activities, outings and year-end trip. After some time, all the sixers felt restless. We fidgeted but as we must show respect to those present in the room, most of us managed to keep silent. Except for some boys who laughed and secretly ate some sweets and used their handphones.

Finally the briefing ended. Most of those who attended the briefing signed up to join scouts. I was overjoyed that we are having more recruits. I hope that during the camp, the new cubs would not leave us when they are asked to stay for the 1 night sleepover. I also hope that the girls get to sleep in the air-conditioned room just like when I first joined and stayed for the âsleepoverâ. To me the first camp was special, it was the best experience I ever had! If I could turn the clock back, I wish would do it again.

Comments