GANGSHOW 2011

GANGSHOW 2011
17th September 2011
By Scribe Brandon Khaw

Yeah! We are all going to the Scout Headquarters in Bishan to participate in the 1st ever GangShow 2011.  Most of us have arrived much earlier than the required meeting time of 1pm. One of my friend was there at 12 noon! We were very excited because for most of us, it would be our first visit to the Scout Headquarters.    

After the initial briefing by Akela, we finally boarded the bus! All the sixers and assistant sixers moved to the rear of the bus.  It appears that the rear seats were reserved for the sixers and assistant sixers. After a final headcount, the bus moved out of the bus bay and finally we were on our way. 
Water droplets started appearing on the window pane as it had started to rain. Whenever I am on an outing with my school mates, the journey always seemed so short! Not enough time for more discussions with my fellow cubs as we got ready to disembark as we have reached our destination.  We had to be careful when we got down from the bus as the floors were wet due to the rain.  The Pelicans walked up a long flight of steps and finally we arrived at the place where the GangShow was held.

The place was crowded and we could see many Scouts moving orderly towards the performance hall.  Along the way, I looked in amazement at the many stalls selling food and souvenirs items. I was mentally making a list of what I like to buy later.  Finally, we reached the seating area and we found our assigned seats then we had to wait patiently for our turn as Akela allowed a few six groups out at any one time.  

When it came to my group, Possum, we moved out quickly and joined the long queues. I noticed that most of the items were sold in 3’s – 3 packets of tidbits for $2 and 3 packets of sweets for $1. I bought my favourite cheese balls, biscuits and a bottle of green tea and headed back to my seat.  I was happy eating and chatting with my friends.

The first item was the ukulele performance by SIS, a group consisting of senior scouts.  They played the ukulele and sang traditional scout songs.  We were encouraged to join in and sing along with them. Somehow the ukulele lends a special sound to the songs and it made it more fun.

Next was the inter-school competition and a total of 7 schools took part to show-case their talents.  Every performance was good and enjoyable.  I am sure the panel of 3 judges had a hard time making the assessments and selecting the winners.

The finale was a band performance by a group of ex-scouts, 2 on the guitars and 1 drummer. The medley of songs was well-sung and loved by all.  Personally I thought the band performance was the best!  They were so good and you could have mistaken them for professional performers.  

I had an enjoyable time and another happy-filled event added to my scouting life. 
I really appreciate the trouble and time taken by the seniors and ex-scouts to showcase their talents and provided us, cubs with great entertainment. To me, scouting is everlasting and it doesn’t just end when we leave school. 






Comments