Akela Award Assessment, 11 October 2014

I followed the group of Akela Award candidates to the Scout Headquarters in Bishan for our final round of assessment. We were proudly dressed in full scout uniform and the national scarf for the first time, looking extremely neat.
Written by: Caleb Liow, Sixer 2013-2014 & Guest Scribe  

We arrived at our location and we were split into several groups with other cub scouts from other packs. I was placed in group B3 and we proceeded to complete my quiz. It tested us on our knowledge of the first-aid, track and trail , the history of scouting ....

Afterwards, my group played a series of three simple games to assess our teamwork and leadership skills. Upon reflection, I could have performed better and I feel that my group fared best in the “human knot” game and the worst in the “floating straw” game. Even the senior scout observing us was impressed by how fast we entangled ourselves and agreed that we could have co-operated better in the other game.

Finally the much anticipated (or rather, much feared)  interview arrived. I was relieved at the prospect that it was a group and not individual one. We took turns, one-by-one , to answer the various questions the examiners shot at us. They inquired on the knowledge we learn in scouting and the daily application of them and other topics.

We returned for the tabulation and announcement of the results of the assessment.    “ Congratulations , ALL pass !” shouts of joy filled the auditorium as everyone received two of the coveted AKELA AWARD badge. I was elated to hold this badge , for it is the highest form of recognition that a cub scout can receive. As joyous as I was, I was disappointed as there was no more Honors this year and we would not be able to receive the wolf woggle.

8 Akela Award Candidates, deck in national scarf, all smart & ready for the assessment.
 (L to R) : Claudia Kong, Janice Koong, NIcholas Yee, Yip Tze Ray, Goh Zi Rong, Lucas Tan, Daniel Por & Caleb Liow.
Not in picture: Evangel Wong (reporting directly to HQ) &
Mark Lim (absent due to school oversea trip, his assessment will be on 18/10)

Comments