Back to the basic, 23rd July 2016

Written by: Kylie Teo, Assistant Senior Sixer & Scribe

“HORSESHOE!!” shouted the newly appointed Senior Sixers, Shafiq and I, signaling the start of the scout meeting. It was a Saturday morning as we started our scout meeting as usual. The scouts scrambled to get into Horseshoe to start Kalapati.

After the usual ceremony, we assembled into Indian file. Mdm Kerina then explained why we had to bring a needle and thread, we were learning how to … sew! I was very excited as sewing is my favourite pass time.

But before we could sew, we had to learn how to tie our shoelaces even though many of us were already able to tie our shoelaces. The instructions for the Sixers were to teach their younger cubs how to tie a shoelace. After about 15 minutes of tying shoelaces, we had a little competition.

The Sixers had taken off their shoes and put it about 5 metres away. The goal was to get the whole six to tie and untie the Sixers shoe.

After that little competition, Mdm Kerina then taught us how to fold our scout jersey without the need of ironing. Can you guess what we did after learning? If you guessed another competition, then you’re absolutely right! The main goal was the same as the shoelace competition except with the Sixer’s jersey.

The time I had been waiting for finally arrived! It was time to sew! We were instructed to get our needle and thread and assemble back into Indian File. Once everyone was back, Mdm Kerina first taught us how to a 4-hole button to a piece of cloth. I thought that it would be simple but I stand corrected. It was so difficult that I had to ask Mdm Kerina on how to do it multiple times. After numerous failures, I finally managed to sew on the button. But right after I sewed on the button, Mdm Kerina was already teaching how to sew a badge! I don’t know if it was me who was being slow or Mdm Kerina teaching fast! Anyways, she taught us how to sew on both a circular and rectangular badge. Most of us were unable to finish sewing in time, so we had to complete it as homework.

But sadly it was time to head home, we lined back up into Horseshoe and start our Sunset-pati, which meant the end of the activity. I think I really learned a lot from this activity that day so the next time I get a badge I will try to sew it on myself! 











Comments